Wednesday 4 May 2011

Tumeke!

It is not until you take time to analyse your teaching and reflect, that you realise what technology is, what it involves and how easily it can be implemented to allow children the opportunity to learn through their technological world of the twenty first century.
From this course, the knowledge of technology in early childhood that I have extended on has made me think of what I am actually providing for children in every experience.  For example cutting with scissors, digging in the sand pit, toilet training – the lists goes on.
My knowledge of technology has shifted from the obvious computers, cameras, phones and television, to the wide range of tools we use on a daily basis such as scissors, staplers, bottles, and musical instruments.
“Children learn through play – by doing, by asking questions, by interacting with others, by setting up theories or ideas about how things work and trying them out, and by purposeful use of resources” (MOE, 1996, p82).  This links to Smorti’s (1999) explanation of the ‘process approach.’  Children can design, make and appraise their own theories and ideas.
Through the feedback and discussion in my blog and in other’s blogs has extended my thinking towards technology.  It has opened my eyes and mind to what is, the possibilities and learning involved.  One major aspect I have learnt about technology is that it is a work in progress and the best way to go it to learn alongside others including the children.
I had mixed emotions about blogging before, during and after completing this task.  Before starting my blog page I was excited and apprehensive, being the unknown.  As I made my way through the task I found it daunting as I came upon challenges.  My first challenge was with uploading the photos.  Not only learning how to upload them but the ethics that was involved.  My centre has a cyber safety policy which meant that I had to get written permission for every child in every photo, even though the children’s identities were not shown.  Luckily all the parents were very willing to share their child’s photo on my blog.  Some of the parents were very keen to view my blog and see the learning involved.  This was a very time consuming task as I had to copy and paste each photo to a form and have a separate form for every child in every photo, again using technology to the fullest.  Having the class discussions and guidance helped me to understand the blogging process.  I think that our class Facebook page was a life saver as this allowed more discussion which was a similar style to blogging.  At times I found myself getting frustrated which made me think about children in learning situations.  I feel that I can now relate to the children’s frustrations at a different level.  After completing the blog I feel inspired to continue providing the best learning opportunities for children through technology as it is such a large part of our lives today.
“The thoughtful and meaningful use of ICT in early childhood education services can support children “to grow up as competent and confident learners and communicators, healthy in mind, body, and spirit, secure in their sense of belonging and in the knowledge that they make a valued contribution to society” (MOE, 2004, p2).
I feel now I can go forth and concur all!  I would like to thank all of those who have helped me through, providing knowledge, support and kindness.  Co-constructing has been the key to completing this task.

Ministry of Education. (2004). Kei tua o te pae assessment for learning: Early childhood exemplars. Wellington: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa. Wellington: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, No.19 Autum 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment